Understand and Characterize the Renewable Resource
Theme Leader: Ahmed Koubaa
Theme 1: Determination of Physical, Mechanical, Chemical and Thermal Properties
- Properties and behavior of juvenile and mature wood, bark and biomass;
- Chars produced from forest, agricultural, industrial and urban biomass;
- Characterization and prediction of timber availability from natural disturbances for the production of bioenergy and bioproducts;
- Prediction of char properties with respect to the properties of the raw material and processing methods;
- Using numerical modeling tools to design innovative products based on renewable materials.
Theme 2: Caracterization Using Non-Destructive Methods
- Intra- and inter-tree, genetic and phenotypic variations and variations due to sylvicultural treatments, to optimize procurement and processing;
- Development of non-destructive tools to characterize wood properties;
- Development of predictive models for the physico-mechanical properties of wood using non-destructive measurements.